Q: Am I supposed to clock in and out like I usually do?

A: Instructional Assistants, Student Support Specialists, and Cafeteria Monitors do not need to clock in, however they should sign the sign in sheet at the work location when they arrive.  Any other employee who normally clocks in should continue to do so.

Q:  I am not feeling well, what should I do?

A:  Employees who have symptoms of respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work until they are fever free (100.4° F or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 72 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or medicines.  

Q: What does the division want special area staff to do during a period of alternative instructional delivery?

A: There will be opportunities for special area teachers to collaborate with one another and determine how they can best support the mission of the school division and honor their content areas.  Art, music, physical activity, etc. are essential parts of all around wellness and sources of inspiration and students should have opportunity to engage with all content areas during a closure.

Q:  With excess time days, why not just make up the days beyond that?

A:  We have to make up the first five days and then one day for every 2 days after that.  We anticipate that there’s a strong probability that we would be closed longer than two weeks and SCS would have to lose spring break and then go later into June.  By providing continuity of instruction, we will not need to make them up.

Q:  What if I am truly sick during a closure and unable to work?

A:  The same School Board leave policies would apply.

Q:  What if a student needs Internet Access and doesn’t have it?

A:  We’ve shared information with families about affordable internet access.  We are working on some mobile options including buses with wifi parked in areas that need it.  Salem has wifi along major streets in downtown that students may access. Grade PK-2 teachers may want to communicate with parents to see about their internet accessibility in case they want to send information by email.  Teachers may need to provide alternate assignments for those students who do not have access to the Internet.

Q:  What if the students don’t do the work we assign?

A:  Most teachers deal with this now with students in the building.  The best thing to do is to communicate with parents and students about missed work.

Q:  If I am sending a packet home, how do I make sure that they are getting “instruction?”

A:  Teachers in grades PK-2 should plan to make phone calls with students about the work that is sent home.  For example, a teacher may have a phone call with a student and the student reads a text with them and answers comprehension questions.  Additionally, the teacher may decide to work with a small group of students at the school one day; working with the parents to schedule a time that is suitable. 

Q:  What do I do about my own children who need to be supervised during the day?

A:  There will be some occasions where you can bring your children to work.  They could be completing tasks assigned by their own teacher while you work on instructional materials or make phone calls to parents and/or students.  There may be other times where you may need to work from home. This requires communication with your supervisor and flexibility.

Q:  How can I be sure of the authenticity of a student’s online work?

A:  Unfortunately you won’t always be able to, however, assessments when students return will give you an idea of what they did during the closure.

Q:  What if a PK-2 student doesn’t pick up the packet?

A:  Phone calls will first be made to parents to remind them to pick them up.  If it’s still not picked up, packets will be delivered to student’s homes by teachers, instructional assistants, or other school staff.

Q:  During a closure, can I be required to do work outside of my job description?

A:  Yes, you may be asked to do something different than your normal responsibilities.