Back-to-School Center 2019
General Information for all Students
The first day of school is Tuesday, September 3.
Please update your demographic information in the PowerSchool Parent Portal!
Updating your student’s demographic information is critical to ensure that we have up-to-date contact information for you and the appropriate emergency contacts for your child. Updating your demographic information also ensures that we are aware of any special medical issues and that we have the necessary permissions to secure treatment for your child in the event of an emergency.
This year we are also collecting cell phone numbers so we can include SMS text options in our instant notification system for weather closings and delays. So even if nothing else has changed, there is a new field in the demographics update for you to enter your cell phone numbers if you would like to receive SMS text messages.
Updating your demographics is easy and can be completed online at http://powerschool.salem.k12.va.us. Even if you do not have any changes, please use this link to verify that your information is correct. This will prevent us from contacting you regarding the demographics update unnecessarily.
- If you have forgotten your password, please click the “Forgot your username or password?” link.
- If you have not created an account, you can create a new account at http://powerschool.salem.k12.va.us, click the “Create Account” tab, and use the student ID and access code below to attach the student to your account.
- Please note that the information below is NOT your username and password. The information below allows you to either create a new account by associating it with the student, or associating a student with an existing parent account (this can be done by choosing “Account Preferences”, choosing the “Students” tab, and then clicking the “Add” button).
If possible, please update the demographic information this week. If you are not taken directly to the demographic update page, please click the link that says “Click here to update & verify your student’s demographic information” near the top of the page.
Please take an extra moment to add or verify your email address and your contact phone numbers. This information changes frequently for some people. This will help us to better communicate with you and save school system resources.
- After completing the update please remember to hit the SUBMIT button on the bottom of the page.
- After submitting demographic data, if you have multiple students on one account you will need to click the PowerSchool logo on the top left corner of the page in order to proceed to another student.
- For the student’s safety and security, all questions about student accounts are handled at the school office where the student is registered.
- For those not able to update the demographic information electronically a paper copy will be sent home.
- PowerSchool may be down occasionally due to maintenance. If PowerSchool is down, please try again later.
Bus routes for the 2019-2020 school year.
Specific Information for each school
Salem High School
- Saturday, August 17– Pre-Pay Fee Day, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm. Remember, students taking care of fees on this day will receive a copy of their schedule.
- Tuesday, August 27– Freshman & New Student Orientation, 7:00 pm.
- Tuesday, August 27 – Pre-Pay Fee Day, 4:00-6:30 pm.
- Monday, September 23 – PTSA Back-to-School Night, 7:00 pm.
SHS does not provide a school supply list. All students should report on the first day of school with paper and pencil.
Andrew Lewis Middle School
Wednesday, August 21st – New student (transfers) and rising 6th-grade student Chromebook pickup from 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM in our large gymnasium. Stop by and get a copy of your schedule and pick up your Chromebook. There is a $20 insurance fee associated with the Chromebook. Please call the school at 387-2513 if you have questions regarding the Chromebook fees.
** If you are out of town on this date, don’t worry, your student will receive his/her Chromebook on the first day of school! **
Thursday, August 29th – New student and 6th-grade orientation from 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM. Buses will run their normal routes that day. Bus route information will be posted on the website as soon as it’s available. Parents are encouraged to attend as there will be a parent information meeting while the students are meeting with their teachers.
Tuesday, September 17– Back to School Night Open House 5:30-7:30 pm
East Salem Elementary
Wednesday, Aug. 28 – VPI Preschool Orientation 10:00-11:30
Thursday, August 29
- Grades 1-5 Supply Drop Off 8:00-9:15
- Kindergarten Orientation 9:15-10:15
- Early Childhood Special Education Preschool Orientation 12:00-2:00
Tuesday, September 24 Back-to-School Night 6:30 pm
G.W. Carver Elementary
Thursday, August 29
- Preschool Orientation 8:30 am-11:15 am
- Kindergarten Orientation 8:30 am
- 1st-5th-grade Open House/Supply Drop Off 10:15-11:15
Thursday, Sept. 19: Back to School Night: 6:00 pm
South Salem Elementary
Thursday, Aug. 29
- 1st – 5th Grade Meet & Greet Supply Drop Off, 8:30-9:15 am
- Kindergarten Orientation, 9:15-10 am
Tuesday, Sept. 17: Back to School Curriculum Night: 1st Session-6:30-7 pm, 2nd Session 7-7:30 pm
West Salem Elementary
Thursday, Aug. 29
- 1st – 5th Grade Meet & Greet Supply Drop Off, 11:45 am-12:30 pm
- Kindergarten Orientation, 11:15 am
Tuesday, Sept. 10: Back to School Night 6:30 pm