- The National PTA Reflections Program provides opportunities for students to express themselves creatively and to receive positive recognition for original works of art inspired by a pre-selected theme, while increasing community awareness on the importance of the arts in education. This year we honored four students. Read more about the Reflections Program School Board Recognition
- Each year, the Salem City School Division has the opportunity to submit entries for the Virginia School Board Association’s Spring Regional Art Contest. Teachers select and submit one entry each for the elementary, middle, and high school divisions. Read more about our Divison Artists School Board Recognition
- Salem High School students who attend the Governor’s School participated in the Project Forum, and three earned third place honors. These students were honored at our April School Board Meeting. Read more about our Governor’s School Students School Board Recognition
- Salem High School offers a course titled “Education for Work“ for those students preparing to enter the workforce. The goal is to move students toward increased independence and autonomy in the community. Read more about our Community Partners School Board Recognition
- See the April school cafeteria menus here.
- The Salem School Board congratulated this year’s Spelling Bee winners at Tuesday night’s meeting. Andrew Lewis Middle School student Maya Makked, was the Division’s overall winner for the third straight year. Read more about the spelling honors.
- Salem City Schools announces new assistant principals at SHS and ALMS.
- Salem City Schools announces new Director of Administrative Services and Middle School Principal
- Salem City Schools announces our 2017 Teachers of the Year
- See our 2016-2017 School Calendar here.
- Salem City Schools is once again named as one of the state’s top 10 school divisions. Read details here.
- See our Board’s Legislative Priorities for 2017
- See our 2017-2018(next year) School Calendar here.
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
- Older news is available here.
Several years ago, a group at Virginia Tech decided to research the implementation of Virginia's new teacher evaluation system after the state of Virginia issued new guidelines for teacher performance standards and evaluation criteria in 2012. The study looked at...
Over the past several years, teachers in Salem City Schools have focused on Assessment FOR Learning practices in order to provide students and parents with specific feedback that reflects student achievement on specific learning goals. This provides students with the...
Motivating Andrew Lewis Middle School Students to Embrace Challenges and Realize Their Academic Potential
Carol Dweck’s—‘MINDSET’: Motivating Andrew Lewis Middle School Students to Embrace Challenges and Realize Their Academic Potential by Forest Jones, Principal of Andrew Lewis Middle School Andrew Lewis Middle School located in Salem, Virginia chose Carol Dweck’s...