News and Highlights
- Will your child be 5 years old by September 30, 2018? If so you may be interested in our Kindergarten registration information.
- Do you live in the East or GWC Elementary School zones, have a 4 year old, and are interested in a preschool program? If so, you may be interested in the Virginia Preschool Initiative Program for four-year-olds at East Salem and G. W. Carver Elementary Schools. Interested families will need to complete the application forms found here.
- Mrs. Painter, a world geography teacher at Andrew Lewis Middle school will be traveling to Antarctica as part of a prestigious award from National Geographic. Read more about Mrs. Painter here.
- Congratulations to the Salem High School Forensics Team for earning their 13th straight state championship!
- Salem City Schools is once again named as one of the state’s top 10 school divisions. Read details here.
- See our Board’s Legislative Priorities for 2017
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
There are a total of 12 possible make-up days in the 2017-18 calendar. The days are listed in the planned order of their use. Students, parents, and employees should note that circumstances sometimes require a departure for the order listed. The order in which these days are used may change.
1. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
2. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
3. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
4. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
5. January 26 Rescheduled as a student day (1-27-18 Teacher Workday)
6. March 9 Rescheduled as a student day (3-10-18 Staff Development Day)
7. March 30 Rescheduled as a student day
8. May 25 Rescheduled as a student day
9. April 6 Rescheduled as a student day
10. April 5 Rescheduled as a student day
11. April 4 Rescheduled as a student day
12. April 3 Rescheduled as a student day
Depending on the timing and frequency of any missed days, specifically if an inordinate number of student days are missed early in the winter season, the Board may consider rescheduling the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Memorial Day Holidays as additional student days to be determined no later than the January 9, 2018 and May 8, 2018 Board Meetings, respectively.
Salem City Schools Education Blog
While grades have not always been part of formal education, they have been part of education in America for the better part of…
In 2009, Salem City Schools embarked on an Assessment FOR Learning journey based on research indicating that teachers could accelerate student academic progress and growth by consistently and thoughtfully providing descriptive feedback. The research further indicated...