News and Highlights
- Please see our board approved school calendar for 2020-2021. Also for all calendar related information please visit our school calendars page.
- Salem School Division is featured in a series of Statewide Educational Videos.
- 2020 SCS Legislative Priorities and Positions for the VA General Assembly. For more information including 2019 Legislative Priorities and Positions along with related School Board documents please visit our Salem City School’s School Board page.
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
MAKE-UP DAYS 2019-2020
There are a total of 10 possible make-up days in the 2019-20 calendar, four excess time days and six makeup days. The days are listed in the planned order of their use. Students, parents, and employees should note that circumstances sometimes require a departure for the order listed. The order in which these days are used may change.
1. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
2. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
3. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
4. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
5. February 3 Rescheduled as a student day (Schedule conferences as needed)
6. March 13 Rescheduled as a student day
7. April 6 Rescheduled as a student day
8. April 7 Rescheduled as a student day
9. April 8 Rescheduled as a student day
10. April 9 Rescheduled as a student day
Depending on the timing and frequency of any missed days, specifically if an inordinate number of student days are missed early in the winter season, the Board may consider rescheduling the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Memorial Day Holidays as additional student days to be determined no later than the January 2020 and May 2020 Board Meetings, respectively.
Salem City Schools Education Blog
While grades have not always been part of formal education, they have been part of education in America for the better part of…
In 2009, Salem City Schools embarked on an Assessment FOR Learning journey based on research indicating that teachers could accelerate student academic progress and growth by consistently and thoughtfully providing descriptive feedback. The research further indicated...