- Salem School Division Superintendent, Dr. Alan Seibert, is pleased to announce that the Salem School Board has formally approved a changing of the guard at South Salem Elementary School. Laura James has been named the new principal at South Salem, effective July 1, 2018. James, who is currently the assistant principal at South Salem, will replace Margaret Humphrey, who is retiring at the end of June. Humphrey has served Salem’s children for 35 years as a teacher and principal and she has invested over 45 years in public education in her illustrious career.
- Throughout the school year, and especially during flu season, our employees work to promote and ensure student wellness in our schools. Please continue reading our Parent Flu Message 2018
- Now that we are well into the winter season there may be additional times when we will need to alter our daily schedule for the safety of students. The School Division Facebook and Twitter page will have up-to-date information on changes that are caused by inclement weather.
- For additional information detailing the philosophies behind the decisions we make when inclement weather adversely affects normal school operations, please see our Inclement Weather Decisions FAQ.
- See our Salem City Schools Board approved 2018-2019 School Calendar.
- Salem City Schools now has our proposed 2018 Summer School Calendar available for your review here 2018 Summer School Schedule for review. Please direct all questions or input to our Director of Instruction, Diane Washenberger. She can be reached at 540-389-0130 or emailed at email@example.com
- Will your child be 5 years old by September 30, 2018? If so you may be interested in our Kindergarten registration information.
- If you are interested in becoming a Upward Bound Project Advisor in Salem or Roanoke County, please follow this link for more information.
- Salem City Schools is once again named as one of the state’s top 10 school divisions. Read details here.
- See our Board’s Legislative Priorities for 2017
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
Over the past several years, teachers in Salem City Schools have focused on Assessment FOR Learning practices in order to provide students and parents with specific feedback that reflects student achievement on specific learning goals. This provides students with the...
Motivating Andrew Lewis Middle School Students to Embrace Challenges and Realize Their Academic Potential
Carol Dweck’s—‘MINDSET’: Motivating Andrew Lewis Middle School Students to Embrace Challenges and Realize Their Academic Potential by Forest Jones, Principal of Andrew Lewis Middle School Andrew Lewis Middle School located in Salem, Virginia chose Carol Dweck’s...
The Salem City School Division has long been a leader in the use of Instructional Technology for the purpose of preparing Salem’s children to be creative problem solvers who are equipped to communicate and succeed in the digital age and global economy. Most...