News and Highlights
- If you are interested in being employed with Aramark, our division’s food service provider, please follow this link. They have both full and part time opportunities.
- Secondary Summer Remediation Bus Routes Contact transportation at 444-0858 if you have any questions.
- For many kids, summertime means food, friends, and fun. For families who count on school breakfast and lunch however, the summer months can be stressful when family food budgets have to stretch even further. Free summer meals, funded by the USDA, are available to kids and teens ages 18 and younger at summer meals sites across Virginia. Please follow this link for our Free Summer Meal Program Details.
- Will your child be 5 years old by September 30, 2018? If so you may be interested in our Kindergarten registration information.
- Do you live in the East or GWC Elementary School zones, have a 4 year old, and are interested in a preschool program? If so, you may be interested in the Virginia Preschool Initiative Program for four year old children at East Salem and G. W. Carver Elementary Schools. Interested families will need to complete the application forms found here.
- Salem City Schools is once again named as one of the state’s top 10 school divisions. Read details here.
- See our Board’s Legislative Priorities for 2017
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
There are a total of 12 possible make-up days in the 2017-18 calendar. The days are listed in the planned order of their use. Students, parents, and employees should note that circumstances sometimes require a departure for the order listed. The order in which these days are used may change.
1. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
2. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
3. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
4. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
5. January 26 Rescheduled as a student day (1-27-18 Teacher Workday)
6. March 9 Rescheduled as a student day (3-10-18 Staff Development Day)
7. March 30 Rescheduled as a student day
8. May 25 Rescheduled as a student day
9. April 6 Rescheduled as a student day
10. April 5 Rescheduled as a student day
11. April 4 Rescheduled as a student day
12. April 3 Rescheduled as a student day
Depending on the timing and frequency of any missed days, specifically if an inordinate number of student days are missed early in the winter season, the Board may consider rescheduling the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Memorial Day Holidays as additional student days to be determined no later than the January 9, 2018 and May 8, 2018 Board Meetings, respectively.
Salem City Schools Education Blog
Student safety is a top priority for Salem City Schools. Throughout the year, we work with the Salem Police Department and Salem Fire and EMS personnel to develop building-specific security procedures. We then apply these plans by participating in emergency management...
Some minor changes to the division’s grade reporting policy, IKFAA, have generated a great deal of media interest. While we suspect that the interest is the result of the original strikethrough underline version, which some might have interpreted to indicate that we...