News and Highlights
- Will your child be 5 years old by September 30, 2018? If so you may be interested in our Kindergarten registration information.
- Do you live in the East or GWC Elementary School zones, have a 4 year old, and are interested in a preschool program? If so, you may be interested in the Virginia Preschool Initiative Program for four-year-olds at East Salem and G. W. Carver Elementary Schools. Interested families will need to complete the application forms found here.
- Mrs. Painter, a world geography teacher at Andrew Lewis Middle school will be traveling to Antarctica as part of a prestigious award from National Geographic. Read more about Mrs. Painter here.
- Congratulations to the Salem High School Forensics Team for earning their 13th straight state championship!
- Salem City Schools is once again named as one of the state’s top 10 school divisions. Read details here.
- See our Board’s Legislative Priorities for 2017
- Salem City Schools School Quality Reports and Report Cards
There are a total of 12 possible make-up days in the 2017-18 calendar. The days are listed in the planned order of their use. Students, parents, and employees should note that circumstances sometimes require a departure for the order listed. The order in which these days are used may change.
1. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
2. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
3. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
4. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
5. January 26 Rescheduled as a student day (1-27-18 Teacher Workday)
6. March 9 Rescheduled as a student day (3-10-18 Staff Development Day)
7. March 30 Rescheduled as a student day
8. May 25 Rescheduled as a student day
9. April 6 Rescheduled as a student day
10. April 5 Rescheduled as a student day
11. April 4 Rescheduled as a student day
12. April 3 Rescheduled as a student day
Depending on the timing and frequency of any missed days, specifically if an inordinate number of student days are missed early in the winter season, the Board may consider rescheduling the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Memorial Day Holidays as additional student days to be determined no later than the January 9, 2018 and May 8, 2018 Board Meetings, respectively.
Salem City Schools Education Blog
Some minor changes to the division’s grade reporting policy, IKFAA, have generated a great deal of media interest. While we suspect that the interest is the result of the original strikethrough underline version, which some might have interpreted to indicate that we...
When Social Media is Not the Tool for the Job (When to Make Direct Contact with Your Child’s School)
Ci The Salem City School Division has a long and proven history of cherishing the great value this community places on children. This was a cornerstone of the division when it was established in 1983 and remains a core value for all who serve in Salem City’s Schools....