Kindergarten and New Student Registration:
Parents/guardians can register online for the 2021-2022 School Year.
News and Highlights
- Spartan Camp Registration is Open!
Be sure to get your child registered through the Parent Portal. These camps are ONLY open to Salem City School Division children who are rising first graders through 8th graders. For questions call 389-0130. See our flyer here Spartan Summer Camp Flyer
- Our ParentPortal is where Parents see student progress, grades, attendance & much more. Sign up today, then sign in regularly to see your student’s progress! Use this link to Sign Up
- Salem City Schools Science Teachers have adopted new books science textbooks. These books are at our Central Office on 510 South College Avenue for public review.
- Salem City Schools expanded in person attendance on March 22nd. Parents who can transport their children to and/or from school are encouraged to do so to support physical distancing on buses. Face coverings will be required at all times except when eating meals. Please watch this short video for additional information https:/
- See our 2021 SCS School Board Legislative Priorities and Positions for the VA General Assembly
- Salem City Schools Fast Facts for 2020
- The Salem School Division opened for business in 1983, and the goal of placing children first and has never wavered. Once again, our six schools are fully accredited and our talented educators are motivating and preparing our students to reach incredible new heights. Learn more about our school system by reading our “School Division at a Glance”
- The mission of Salem City Schools is to provide a loving and engaging environment that inspires all children to reach their full potential. See our 2020-2026 Comprehensive Plan here.
- Salem School Division is featured in a series of Statewide Educational Videos.
- Need Internet? Comcast offers low cost, high speed, Internet Essentials for $9.95 per month. See Comcast Internet Access Brochure for qualifications. You can sign up via phone by calling 855-846-8376 or online HERE at If you currently rely on your cellular data plan for Internet please consider applying for Comcast’s Internet Essentials so your students can fully participate in online instruction offered by Salem City Schools.
- Information on food services available in the Roanoke area.
- Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) Resources on behalf of the Office of School Nutrition Programs
- Apply For Salem’s PreSchool Program Today.
Fill out a Smart2Start application for your child, from birth to age 5, to find affordable, high-quality childcare and preschool for the upcoming school year. Signing up is easy and free! Más información en español.
- Chromebook Help is available at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by Phone at: 540-444-0838. Check out the Chromebook Support Page for more information including drop off locations for Chromebook Repairs.
MAKE-UP DAYS 2020-2021
There are a total of 11 possible make-up days in the 2020-21 calendar, four excess time days and seven makeup days. The days are listed in the planned order of their use. Students, parents, and employees should note that circumstances sometimes
require a departure for the order listed. The order in which these days are used may change.
1. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
2. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
3. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
4. Excess Time Built-in Make-up Day
5. February 8 - Rescheduled as a student day (Schedule conferences as needed)
6. May 28 - Rescheduled as a student day
7. March 29 - Rescheduled as a student day
8. March 30 - Rescheduled as a student day
9. March 31 - Rescheduled as a student day
10. April 1 - Rescheduled as a student day
11. April 2 Rescheduled as a student day
Depending on the timing and frequency of any missed days, specifically if an inordinate number of student days are missed early
in the winter season, the Board may consider rescheduling the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and/or Memorial Day Holidays as
additional student days to be determined no later than the January 8, 2019 and May 7, 2019 Board Meetings, respectively.
DATES TERM PROGRESS REPORT ISSUED
August 31 – November 3 44
November 4 – January 22 44
November 9 (Parent Teacher Conferences 11/12/20 12:00-7:00 PM)
February 1 (Parent Teacher Conferences 2/8/21, 12:00-7:00PM)
January 25 – March 26 44 April 8
April 5 – June 11 48 June 18 (mailed)
Salem City Schools Education Blog
In elementary school students are assessed on standards to see progress toward grade-level goals. Students work on a variety of assignments to show mastery of the standards. These standards are assessed to see if a student M Met the Standard, is E Emerging toward...
Student safety is a top priority for Salem City Schools. Throughout the year, we work with the Salem Police Department and Salem Fire and EMS personnel to develop building-specific security procedures. We then apply these plans by participating in emergency management...