Employee Benefits and Payroll
Employee Benefits and Payroll Specialist
VRS members have online access to their member information through myVRS on the VRS website. Through myVRS, members can:
- View account information, including service and member contributions, purchase of prior service credit, employment and compensation history and basic group life insurance coverage
- Download annual Member Benefit Profile of VRS benefits
- Correct or change contact information.
- Create future retirement benefit estimates and plan options
Salem City Schools currently have three medical insurance plans through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, which include prescription and vision benefits. All plans use the same KeyCare PPO/BlueCard National PPO network of providers. Coverage is offered to employees, spouses, and dependent children to age 26.
- KeyCare 30
- Lumenos HDHP + HSA
- KeyCare 20 (grandfathered plan – only available to current employees who are active within this plan)
Salem City Schools offer leave to eligible employees. Please refer to school division policies for specific descriptions.
- Personal Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Family & Medical Leave
- Leave Without Pay
- Jury Duty / Court Appearances
Benefit Resource Center (BRC) provides Personal Benefit Advocates who are familiar with Salem’s insurance plans, know our carriers, and are committed to assisting employees in resolving complex issues you may face. Benefit Resource Center (BRC) is a toll-free one-call benefits information hotline specifically designed to act as a single point of contact for all benefit and claim issues.
- answer benefit plan/policy questions
- assist with eligibility and claim problems with carriers
- provide claim appeals information and explain the process
- explain allowable family status election changes
- provide vendor plan contact information
To speak to your Personal Benefit Advocate, please call 1-855-874-6699.
All full-time employees are members of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). VRS is a defined benefit program sponsored by the Commonwealth of Virginia and is funded by contributions from employee members and the school division. Plan handbooks, forms, and more resources are available on the VRS website at http://www.varetire.org/.
- Plan 1 Member – You are in Plan 1 if your membership date is before July 1, 2010 and you were vested (you had at least five years of service credit) as of January 1, 2013.
- Plan 2 Member – You were not vested (you had less than five years of service credit) or your membership date is on or after July 1, 2010.
- Hybrid Plan Member – You are covered under the Hybrid Plan if your membership date is on or after January 1, 2014. The hybrid retirement plan combines the features of a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan.
To schedule an appointment online please visit www.timecenter.com/cityofsalem or call 540-378-0190.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all Salem City School employees. The Advantage EAP is a confidential referral and treatment service available to employees, spouse, and children. The program provides counselors and other specialists offering a wide range of services. Individual and group counseling is available for the employee and his/her family.
- Individual and/or Family Problems
- Alcohol or substance abuse
- Premarital, marriage, and divorce counseling
- Financial or legal concerns
- Difficulties at work
- Physical health problems
- Anxiety, depression or stress
- Or any other type of personal problems.
540-989-6605 or 800-669-9396
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Evening appointment hours are available.