Employee Benefits and Payroll
Employee Benefits and Payroll Specialist
VRS members have online access to their member information through myVRS on the VRS website. Through myVRS, members can:
- View account information, including service and member contributions, purchase of prior service credit, employment and compensation history and basic group life insurance coverage
- Download annual Member Benefit Profile of VRS benefits
- Correct or change contact information.
- Create future retirement benefit estimates and plan options
Salem City Schools currently have two medical insurance plans through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, which include prescription and vision benefits. All plans use the same KeyCare PPO/BlueCard National PPO network of providers. Coverage is offered to employees, spouses, and dependent children to age 26.
- Anthem KeyCare 30
- Anthem HDHP + HSA
Salem City Schools offer leave to eligible employees. Please refer to school division policies for specific descriptions.
- Personal Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Family & Medical Leave
- Leave Without Pay
- Jury Duty / Court Appearances
Benefit Resource Center (BRC) provides Personal Benefit Advocates who are familiar with Salem’s insurance plans, know our carriers, and are committed to assisting employees in resolving complex issues you may face. Benefit Resource Center (BRC) is a toll-free one-call benefits information hotline specifically designed to act as a single point of contact for all benefit and claim issues.
- answer benefit plan/policy questions
- assist with eligibility and claim problems with carriers
- provide claim appeals information and explain the process
- explain allowable family status election changes
- provide vendor plan contact information
To speak to your Personal Benefit Advocate, please call 1-855-874-6699.
All full-time employees are members of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). VRS is a defined benefit program sponsored by the Commonwealth of Virginia and is funded by contributions from employee members and the school division. Plan handbooks, forms, and more resources are available on the VRS website at http://www.varetire.org/.
- Plan 1 Member – You are in Plan 1 if your membership date is before July 1, 2010 and you were vested (you had at least five years of service credit) as of January 1, 2013.
- Plan 2 Member – You were not vested (you had less than five years of service credit) or your membership date is on or after July 1, 2010.
- Hybrid Plan Member – You are covered under the Hybrid Plan if your membership date is on or after January 1, 2014. The hybrid retirement plan combines the features of a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan.
To schedule an appointment online please visit www.timecenter.com/cityofsalem or call 540-378-0190.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all Salem City School employees. The Advantage EAP is a confidential referral and treatment service available to employees, spouse, and children. The program provides counselors and other specialists offering a wide range of services. Individual and group counseling is available for the employee and his/her family.
Carilion EAP goes into effect July 1, 2023. Employees and dependent family members will have up to four sessions per episode or problem annually. Sessions will be held at the provider’s office, via HIPAA compliant telehealth, or by telephone as appropriate. The number to access the benefit is (800) 992-1931 or (540) 981-8950.
There are benefits that can be accessed online by all employees.
Carilion Clinic Website provides general resources and information about the EAP program as well as the phone numbers to call to schedule an appointment. It also includes archived newsletters and educational videos. - www.carilionclinic.org/EAP
Life Advantage Website provides employees with webinars, tips, and resources on a variety of topics such as relationships, financial, health, personal growth, and even recipes! This is accessed using the following link, or by using the general EAP link above and clicking on “Life Advantages.” You will need the username and password on the attached flyer to access these extra resources. https://www.personaladvantage.
Each month, the SCS Human Resources department will share newsletters and other information provided by Carilion EAP.
Please see some anticipated questions and answers below.
Question: So I can't see the counselor I've seen before at Psychological Health Roanoke?
Answer: You can, but it's not covered by the division's EAP program, so it would run through your health insurance for cost sharing purposes.
Question: What if I’m in the middle of my 3 current sessions? How can I still see my old counselor?
Answer: You would continue to reach out to Psychological Health Roanoke to schedule those appointments and it would be covered by your health insurance including any portions paid by you
- Individual and/or Family Problems
- Alcohol or substance abuse
- Premarital, marriage, and divorce counseling
- Financial or legal concerns
- Difficulties at work
- Physical health problems
- Anxiety, depression or stress
- Or any other type of personal problems.
The number to access benefits is (800) 992-1931 or (540) 981-8950.
Life Advantage Website